Published November 8, 2017
Program Assistant (part-time)
WITNESS is seeking a part-time Program Assistant to join our team and provide key administrative support.
This is the perfect opportunity someone looking to jump-start a career in human rights work and has the organizing skills, digital fluency, and passion for justice to match. The Program Assistant will gain exposure to WITNESS’ trainings on video advocacy and video as evidence, will communicate with activists from across the globe, and our work in digital media and innovative documentation.
The fight for human rights is at a critical time, not only in the US but around the world. Come work with WITNESS to power up people and organizations using visual media to amplify important stories and catalyze campaigns for change. Some of the people we’ve worked with include activists in Syria using video as evidence of possible war crimes, media collectives in Brazil documenting rampant police violence, and outraged Americans who are standing up to incidents of hate. You can be a part of supporting their successes.
The position is based in Brooklyn, NY.
WITNESS makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to use video and technology to protect and defend their rights. We provide training, tools, and support to people around the world so that they can use video safely, ethically, and effectively to create positive change.
Each year WITNESS reaches 1 million people with resources, critical guidance and strategies that will help human rights defenders, including ordinary citizens, unleash the force of video and technology for human rights change. Our goal is to continue to grow our reach and impact as more and more people turn to the cell phones in their pockets to document and advocate for human rights change.
The Program Assistant is responsible for supporting the Program Coordinator and helping to ensure smooth functioning of programmatic administration. They will provide key support for resource engagement functions and processes including, but not limited to: WITNESS’ library of resources, staff speaking engagements, activist outreach, meeting coordination, programmatic finances and training logistics.
Program Support – 50%
- Respond to internal and external inquiries about WITNESS’ programmatic activities, including trainings and speaking engagements;
- Coordinate weekly Program meeting including preparing the agenda, meeting materials and meeting minutes;
- Maintain the team intranet and help program staff locate resources and organizational materials;
- Help coordinate logistics of translations of WITNESS materials and maintain database of translators;
- Maintain training resource logs and feedback surveys;
- Help collect monthly training resource metrics;
- Assist with proofreading and formatting WITNESS blog content when needed;
- Update and upload content to WITNESS websites and platforms.
Administrative Duties – 50%
- Assist with travel and presentation-related financial reconciliations for the Program Director;
- Assist with organizing and printing materials for trainings and presentations;
- Assist with prompt financial reconciliations and payments for consultants and program staff involving trainings and resource translations;
- Collect and compile monthly updates and other organization-wide requests for input from Program team.
- Assist with updating staff UN pass information and compiling annual/quadrennial reports for United Nations accreditations through the DPI and ECOSOC offices;
- Assist with planning and coordinating logistics for annual staff retreats and related events;
- Assist with other programmatic outreach projects as needed and capacity allows.
- Program Coordinator (supervisor)
- Deputy Program Director & Program Director
- Program Team
- Volunteer and contracted translators
Work Experience: A minimum of 1-2 years related experience.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree plus additional work experience.
Skills: Demonstrated flexibility and an ability to effectively work as a part of a team; exceptional administrative, organizational, and logistical skills, including an ability to manage multiple priorities and keep track of details.
Systems: Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Google applications.
Communication: Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
Human Rights Advocacy: A strong interest, background and/or work experience in human rights advocacy; demonstrated commitment to social justice and WITNESS values and mission.
- Experience working in a nonprofit organization and/or social justice initiatives.
- Comfort with social media posts and analytics.
- Additional language proficiency; French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Arabic preferred.
- Familiarity with video production and/or graphic design.
START DATE: ASAP
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
TITLE: Program Assistant
SALARY: WITNESS offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits that include employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life, accident, and disability insurance, FSA, 401k, transit, and a generous vacation package.
TO APPLY: To apply, send your cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Program Assistant – [Your name]”.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled; early applications are encouraged. Please note that due to the volume anticipated, we will not be able to respond individually to each applicant. We kindly ask that you do not send duplicate applications via mail or email, and no phone calls. Thank you.
WITNESS is an equal opportunity employer. People of all ages, races, ethnicities, national origins, religions, genders, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, and individuals protected by any other statuses under federal, state or local laws, including but not limited to, disability, marital, domestic partnership, familial, caregiver, transgender, military or veteran statuses, are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the U.S. is required.