PEN America’s Free Expression department seeks a detail-oriented intern with a passion for social justice, open expression, and consideration of new and different viewpoints to help execute two of PEN America’s signature free speech convenings for this 2017–2018 academic year. The convenings—which build on PEN America’s groundbreaking October 2016 report And Campus for All—offer a unique opportunity to contribute to ever-evolving debates around speech and inclusion on U.S. campuses. These include but are not limited to questions about controversial events and speakers on college campuses, the competing roles of the university, and how campuses might be able to simultaneously navigate robust defenses for free expression alongside deep respect and support for individual differences in identity.
The Campus Free Speech Intern will be exposed to complex questions surrounding free expression and evolving norms around speech, diversity, and inclusion and will be asked to closely monitor news developments on major U.S. college campuses related to these themes. They will work most closely with PEN America’s Campus Free Speech Initiative Program Coordinator to coordinate key details for the year’s speech convenings with the potential to contribute later on to additional Free Expression Programs and efforts as need arises.
- Strong research, writing, and analytical skills
- Keen logistical eye for details and excellent organizational skills
- Fluency in Google Drive document management, particularly Google Sheets
- Strong familiarity with social media platforms
- Knowledge of contemporary debates over free speech on college campuses is a plus
- Interest or experience in law, grassroots organizing, student government, or student journalism is a plus
- High energy and efficiency
- Strong work ethic
- Meticulous attention to deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and an aptitude for collaboration, creativity, and initiative